Beef Vegetable with Barley
Warm up your winter with a Vegetable Beef Barley Soup in the Pressure Cooker. I served this hearty soup recently for a farm tour group…It was a hit. But more importantly I ‘m addicted to the pressure cooker. It makes perfectly cooked beef stew in 30 minutes, black beans with ham hock from scratch in 35 minutes and soup from shank bones in 25 minutes…really amazing. A fraction of the time but all the flavor and nutrients sealed in!
- 2 bone in grass fed shanks,
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots cubed
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 large potato or 2 medium, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 teaspoons beef base
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 2 fresh tomatoes diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup barley cooked seperately
- In 5 or 6 quart pressure cooker brown beef on all sides in oil.
- Stir in all ingredients EXCEPT tomatoes.
- Lock lid on pressure cooker (follow the directions and safety precauctions of your
pressure cooker)and cook on high until the weight begins to
- Lower heat to slow consistent “jiggle”/hiss and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let pressure release conventionally.
- Stir in tomatoe and return to stove and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes
- Cook barley separately and add.
- Cut beef off bones and return to pot.
For the past year I’ve been working with 12 other Washington County Beef Producers to form a co-op. It’s been a roller coaster ride…but away we go…Introducing: ADIRONDACK GRAZERS CO-OP.
Please CLICK HERE to see ADK Grazers in the Times Union News Paper.
Our beef co-op, Adirondack Grazers Co-Operative, is the subject of HBO Documentary film makers Lisa Jackson and Sarah Teale’s latest project.
Stock your family’s freezer with local pork. Roasts, Chops, Ribs, Smoked Ham, Smoked Bacon, Smoked Hocks
A large pasture ensures the pigs will consume less grain and forage more, resulting in
a healthier product for your family.
- The pork is sold by the side or whole pig.
- Customize your order directly with the smokehouse.
- An Autumn delivery is expected.
- Please contact us for more info! email@example.com
- Grilled Sirloin Steak
All Natural, Animal Welfare Approved, USDA Inspected
- No Corn or Grain
- No Antibiotics
- No Hormones
- No Pesticides
Just Exceedingly Healthy Beef “This is what beef used to taste like”
We are now taking orders for quarters and halves of beef for summer of 2013 delivery.
Please Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Autumn winds whirl about outside the farmhouse and I’m cooking as usual. The kitchen’s well worn, my apron’s splattered and the temperature begins to rise as the cooking stove, oven and woodstove…simmer, roast and pop respectively. Before long my 4 year old is stripped down to her unders and the windows are too steamed to see out. Night comes quickly and there’s never enough time to cook everything you’d like to on a cooking day.